1. BEST FILM – PROGRAMME PULICA
The audience in the Programme Pulica awarded:
- Diploma for Best Feature Film The Invisible Boy, director Gabriele Salvatores
2. DECISION OF THE JURY IN THE STUDENT PROGRAMME
Members of the Jury: Vanja Kaluđerčić, advisor and selector, Marin Juranić, film editor and Andrej Korovljev, director, awarded:
- Diploma for Best Film Moonless Summer, directed by Stefan Ivančić
"For the dramaturgically successful and visually impressive presentation of the end of childhood’ this film emphasises the values that can be easily ignored - children's honesty, simplicity, innocence and compassion."
3. BEST SHORT FILM – CROATIAN PROGRAMME
Members of the Jury: Vanja Kaluđerčić, Advisor and selector, Marin Juranić, film editor, Andrej Korovljev, director, awarded:
- Diploma for Best Short Film in the Croatian Programme The Rainfall, directed by Marko Dugonjić
“For the direct and intimate presentation of a natural disaster and its effects told from the child's perspective; the film gives us a new perspective through play and again reminds us of basic human values.“
4. DECISION OF THE JURY IN THE PROGRAMME NEIGHBOURS AND FRIENDS
Members of the Jury: Martina Petrović, Head of the Creative Europe Desk, Rebecca Lenkiewicz, screenwriter, Karel Och, Artistic Director of the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, awarded:
- Diploma for Best Film Koza, directed by Ivan Ostrochovský
“For its strength, beauty and emotions of epic proportions in a poetic and intense way.“
5. DECISIONS OF THE JURY FOR THE INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMME
Members of the Jury: Olinka Vištica producer, Srđan Dragojević director and producer, Christopher Goodwin film critic
Golden Arena for Best Feature Film is awarded to the film Next to Me, directed by Stevan Filipović
“The international jury decided to give the main award to the film Next to me directed by Stevan Filipović for this courageous portrayal of the new generation of our times haunted by the ghosts of old ideologies and fears shattered by uncertain future, new values and technology. We particularly praise the performance of young actors who rendered with bravuro a high school fresco as a metaphor of our society unfortunately still deeply affected by nationalism, homophobia and class discrimination."
The International Jury gave special mention to the film Koza, directed by Ivan Ostrochovský
“A poetic character study of an apparently simple but ultimately complex relationship between two very different man on the margins of society.
A film of great cinematic power, with wonderful performances, which delicately reveals important truths about the need for human compassion in troubling circumstances.“
6. CROATIAN SOCIETY OF FILM CRITICS AWARD
The OCTAVIAN AWARD is awarded to the film The High Sun directed by Dalibor Matanić, with an average mark of 4,46.
7. GOLDEN GATE OF PULA AUDIENCE AWARD
By voting for the Croatian Programme films screened in the Arena, the audience has awarded the Golden Gate of Pula to the film We Will Be The World Champions directed by Darko Bajić with an average mark of 4,85.
1. We Will Be The World Champions 4,85
2. Love Or Death 4,74
3. Consumed 4,65
4. You Carry Me 4,52
5. No One's Child 4,48
6. These Are The Rules 4,29
7. Children Of Transition 4,23
8. Zagreb Stories Vol. 3, 4,16
9. The High Sun 4,12
10. Ungiven 4,05
8. DECISION OF THE JURY IN THE CROATIAN PROGRAMME
JURY AWARDS FOR THE CROATIAN COMPETITIVE PROGRAMME
Members of the Jury: Maurizio Braucci, film critic, Bernd Buder, Berlinale forum progamme consultant, Zlatko Burić, actor, Srđan Kurpjel, M.P.S.E, sound engineer, Kristijan Milić, director
CROATIAN PROGRAMME – CROATIAN MINORITY CO-PRODUCTION
1. Golden Arena for Best Film is awarded to No One's Child, directed by Vuk Ršumović
“For the moving and important film inspired by a shocking true story.”
2. Golden Arena for Best Director is awarded to Vuk Rumović for the film No One's child
“For the brilliant first direction effort and, furthermore for impressive and exceptional work with children and amateurs.“
3. Golden Arena for Best Acting Performance is awarded to Denis Murić in the film No One's Child
“For the young actor’s strong performance which covered a very wide range of existential and physical states and emotions.“
CROATIAN PROGRAMME – CROATIAN FILM
1. Breza Award for Best Debutant is awarded to Helena Buljan for the role of Dora in the film You Carry Me directed by Ivona Juka.
"For the convincing performance of a little girl with a big heart which carries the important message of love and passion."
2. Golden Arena for Make-up is awarded to Mojca Gorogranc Petrushevska for the film Love or Death directed by Daniel Kušan.
"For the make-up that successfully blends the characters in the visual spirit of the times."
3. Golden Arena for Best Sound Design is awarded do Martin Smenčić for the film The Spirits Diary directed by Damir Čučić.
"For the union of the warmth of human voice and the beauty of the biological process in the same life dimension."
4. Golden Arena for Best Visual Effects is awarded to Zoran Čulić and Nebojša Rogić for the film You Carry Me directed by Ivona Juka.
"For the perfect technical performance in the key scene in which the psychological hell of the main character gets its physical metaphor."
5. Golden Arena for Best Special Effects is awarded to Branko Repalustu for the film The Enchanting Porkers directed by Ivan Livaković.
"For a whole range of special effects in perfect harmony with the provocative humour and baroque style of the film."
6. Golden Arena for Best Costume Design is awarded to Ana Savić Gecan for the film The High Sun directed by Dalibor Matanić.
"For costumes that adapt to and reflect the changes in human exterior through three decades in a reserved but effective way in accordance with the story of the continuity of human attraction, love and hate."
7. Golden Arena for Best Scenography is awarded to Ivan Veljača for the film These Are The Rules directed by Ognjen Sviličić.
"For the perfectly simple and precise reconstruction of the environment in which the common man is losing the battle against state institutions."
8. Golden Arena for Best Music is awarded to Teho Teardo for the film You Carry Me directed by Ivona Juka.
"For the perfect modern orchestration and striking guitar motifs which create beautiful music."
9. Golden Arena for Best Editing is awarded to Vesna Lažeta and Hrvoje Mršić for the film Ungiven directed by Branko Schmidt
"For the skilled editing solutions which made the difficult story of psychological tension and emotional distance even more convincing."
10. Golden Arena for Best DOP is awarded to Mario Oljača for the film You Carry Me directed by Ivona Juka.
"For the master photography that brings to the surface the hidden emotions of the main character while maintaining the psychological tension of the story."
11. Golden Arena for Best Supporting Actor is awarded to Dado Ćosić for the role Saša in the film The High Sun directed by Dalibor Matanić.
"For the strong physical performance that gives the main actors an even more complex historical and psychological dimension."
12. Golden Arena for Best Actor is awarded to Emir Hadžihafizbegović for the role Ivo Jozić in the film These Are The Rules directed by Ognjen Sviličić.
"For the brilliantly modest and minimalist acting, which presents the painful confusion and impotence of a little man in front of the existing system and the violence within the same."
13. Golden Arena for Best Supporting Actress is awarded to Nives Ivanković for the role Jelena's/Nataša's mother in the film The High Sun directed by Dalibor Matanić.
"For the multi-layered performance of a person torn between the traumatic past and the awaken desire for a new beginning."
14. Golden Arena for Best Actress is awarded to Tihana Lazović for the role Jelena/Nataša/Marija in the film The High Sun directed by Dalibor Matanić.
"For the powerful performance that represents the declination of the same character in three different existences connected with an impressive physical expression."
15. Golden Arena for Best Screenplay is awarded to Josip Mlakić for the film Ungiven directed by Branko Schmidt.
"For the precise psychological creation of characters of a painfully credible story."
16. Golden Arena for Best Director is awarded to Dalibor Matanić for the film The High Sun directed by Dalibor Matanić.
"For the extremely simple, precise and persuasive presentation of complex human relationships caused by tragic historical events."
17. Grand Golden Arena for Best Festival Film is awarded to the film The High Sun directed by Dalibor Matanić, production company Kinorama, produced by Ankica Jurić Tilić.
"For the film that has the ability to reach out to the viewers with its message through the great articulated narrative structure and the original actors' performances."
We thank everyone who helped organise and made the 62nd Pula Film Festival possible.